A DUMPLING DINNER PARTY

dumpling dinner party
dumpling dinner party
dumpling dinner party
dumpling dinner partydumpling dinner party
dumpling dinner party
dumpling dinner partydumpling dinner partydumpling dinner party
dumpling dinner party
We had some friends (BFF and her husband, and Taylor, but we call him Sexytay, and his wife) over Sunday night and I decided to turn our dinner into a dumpling party. I used these recipes: Gyoza, Shrimp & Chive Dumplings, and Steamed Dumplings. The BFF and her other half were here to help with the wrapping and let me boss them around a bit in the kitchen, while we let Sexytay and his wife entertain the kids (thanks guys!).

After our first attempt at making dumplings, I am convinced it is much better to make them than buy. Ours didn’t come out as pretty and we didn’t get too fancy with the wrapping style, but the flavors in all the recipes came out fantastic and it really is quite simple to make. Of course, I didn’t make the wrap from scratch, which did help a bit, but maybe I will be adventurous next time to try those too. We already ate another bunch on Monday night for dinner and I froze a bunch more and those are ready for when we get that next dumpling itch.

We have an Asian Market not too far from us that we go to often for groceries, though looking at the recipes you should be able to find most of them at your regular market. Also, if you want to figure out a good substitute for an ingredient you are missing, go to Food Subs. I love that site. For example, I didn’t want to buy shaoxing wine (don’t know what that is either), but Food Subs told me that dry sherry was a substitute and I already had that. That site becomes your best friend in the kitchen! Seriously.

We had three April birthdays in the house, so we celebrated with a little song and Strawberry & Blackberry Shortcake for each celebrant. I use this recipe, but just added blackberries.

It was a good night with good food and best of all, good company. Not only were our guests our friends, but also part of our church family, and while we don’t get to hang out with them often, it was good to be able to share life together Sunday evening. We don’t have people over for meals often enough, but when we do, we always have so much fun! Having more people over for a meal is a goal of ours that we are slowly working on

p.s. kimchi fried rice made by the bff and pretty disposable plates were from wasara.

Comments

18 Responses to “A DUMPLING DINNER PARTY”

1. DUMPLINGS!!!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to make my own for some time now, thanks for the inspiration! (and your shortcake looks GORGEOUS)

What a fun idea for a dinner party!

2. helen says:

super cute! i love this, and miss you all!

3. hannah love says:

ahhhh the kimchi fried rice looks so good.
    and i used to always make dumplings as a kid with my mom. looking at these pictures makes me miss that. now i want to go back to making them rather than buying the frozen ones.

4. Ana says:

Oh my, that looks absolutely delicious! I love dumplings!

5. Stef Arochi says:

this looks awesome! yum! (:

6. Mariana says:

Oh my, oh my… I looove dumplings!!
    And those little cakes look yummy, too. :)

7. angela says:

The shortcake looks amazing!

8. Rebekah says:

your parties never cease to amaze it looks like you guys had so much fun! quick question did you fry the dumplings before freezing them or just make them and freeze for frying later? Thanks!!

9. All those dishes have me hungry! Everyone looks genuinely happy in those shots…such a heartening scene! Happy BD!

10. Ping says:

Your party looks delicious! Love those dumplings! I found your blog from artful blogging magazine, love it.

11. lidia says:

everything looks absolutely delicious!!!
    this post made me hungry for some dumplings!

looks like everyone had lots of fun (:

12. Michelle says:

Wow, what a fun party! The food looks so so good…. I would love to have the kimchi fried rice recipe, my little girls would love it I know!!!!!!!!!!

13. Melissa says:

YUM!! Your parties are always my favorite to see.
    I love the themes that revolve around the food.
    So much fun!!

What great friends you have watching the kiddos.

14. AWW this is really cute. I wanted to know what you used to edit the photos?

15. Aa, A, K & M says:

i'm curious…did you make these all up ahead of time or was making the dumplings part of the fun? great party!

16. melody says:

Seriously, thank you so much to you and “BTBSG” (hahaha, took that from Ben's email, he's so funny). We felt so loved and we love you guys! Wish we could hang out more often! :)

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] & Chive Dumplings. This was first made for this and it is surprisingly easy and so delicious. It was our favorite dumplings out of the various we [...]

2. [...] liked the shrimp ones and those were spicy! It was about a year ago when I first made dumplings for our dumpling party and they are such an easy dish to make. Don’t get intimidated and give it a shot! Mine [...]