experimental dessert with pumpkin cake

experimental sweets experimental sweets experimental sweets experimental sweets This is so 3 weeks ago. I made this dessert for Thanksgiving at my mom’s house.┬áIt was kind of experimental and I was just hoping it would turn out well. I figured a bunch of sweet things together have to taste decent, right?!

I used this pumpkin cake recipe for the cake portion. When it was done baking, I took off parts of the top of the cake and poured in some condensed milk (maybe 1/2 – 1 cup) all over. Next, I put those top layers back on. Then, I made some whipped cream and lathered that all over the top of the cake. I crushed honey graham crackers and english toffee and then sprinkled those all over the top of the whipped cream.

I crossed my fingers it would taste good with that random little combos I did and thankfully it did! Or maybe I just love all things sweet that it tasted fine to me and everyone else was too nice to tell me otherwise.

I did use that same pumpkin cake recipe for Soul’s birthday cake, but instead of raisins, we used chocolate chips. Also, instead of whipped cream, we did buttercream frosting. I love all things pumpkin and since it’s the season for it, we’re going crazy with it. Do you love pumpkin filled foods too?

Comments

8 Responses to “experimental dessert with pumpkin cake”

1. victoria says:

I’m from the southern hemisphere and down here pumpkin is only ever a savoury item, not used in cakes and the like and I just can’t get my head around the idea of it in a cake! I have tried to get over it, but just can’t ….

• rubyellen says:

that is so interesting! i love pumpkin yogurt, smoothies, ice cream, bread, pancakes, etc…. if you ever came here, i will personally bake you something pumpkin! ;)

2. Leah says:

Hi Rubyellen!

This looks so crazemazing, I wish I had it in front of me right now so I could eat it all up! I too am from the Southern hemisphere but I have no problem with accepting pumpkin in any delicous form, be it sweet or savoury. So darn good! Thanks for posting :-)

3. Jen says:

oh we love pumpkin too!! this is my fav pumpkin cake recipe I got from my mom (and then made it vegan since we have egg/dairy allergies): http://www.kenjiandjen.com/2011/12/recipe-pumpkin-cake-with-cream-cheese.html

4. Jozen says:

You had me at Condensed milk!!!

5. Natalie says:

Hello!

I was just wondering what the ‘English toffee’ part is – I’m English and I’m just curious as to what you guys over there would call toffee?