reader’s recipes: shrimp fra diavolo
1. 1 tbsp of Better Than Bouillon to make one cup of chicken stock (or just chicken stock if you have it on hand)
2. 1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and sauce
3. 1 small onion diced
4. Whole wheat pasta
5. A few sprigs of fresh basil
6. 1 tbsp of minced garlic
7. Cajun seasoning
8. 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp (we did tails off, but you can leave them on)
9. 1 tbsp red pepper flakes (can add more or less depending on your spice level, I think I ended up doing 2)
10. 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
11. Chopped parsley (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with cajun seasoning (or any other kind of seasoning you like).
2. Brown the garlic until light brown and then add the diced onions. Season with sea salt.
3. When the onions and garlic are cooked and transluscent, add the diced tomatoes. Proceed to add the basil (can used dried if you don’t have fresh basil) and cook down until the tomatoes are broken down.
4. Add the chicken stock. Simmer until reduced a little, then add red chili pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like it.
5. While the sauce continues to cook, bring a pot of water to boil and cook the pasta. Once the pasta is cooked, add the pasta directly into the sauce and toss to coat.
6. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in another skillet over high heat and saute the shrimp until thoroughly cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes. Top the pasta with the shrimp and parsley for garnish.
This recipe comes from Linda who pens the blog Pound of Glue. See her recipe for Shrimp Fra Diavolo here. She’s always cooking up something that looks yummy and she has a few other recipes she sent me that I want to try out. This is only my third reader’s recipe, but I love trying out things that you guys love. If you have something you love to make and eat in your home, please do share (just leave it in the comments and or email me). I would love to try it too!
Thank you Linda for this delicious dish! I can’t wait to try the Pad See Ew recipe you sent too!