cheers to 35!

It’s nice to meet you 35. I’ve got 6 grey hairs that I refuse to pull because I think I’m running out of hairs. Also, my smile lines are becoming more prominent, which is a blessing because that means I’ve had  lots of reasons to laugh and smile in my 35 years (and Lord willing, many more). I certainly don’t feel wiser with each new year, but grace certainly does get sweeter.

Soul loves this dress because it’s pink. It looks white in pictures, but it’s a subtle pink with geometric lines. When I found it at the thrift store, I did a happy dance because that’s just what you do when you find a vintage piece with a “Made in USA” label. I especially love it paired with my favorite pair of shoes and a bigger version of my favorite basket. This one can hold my journals, art supplies, and camera when I need to tote those things around. You know me and my love for baskets. When some of my friends travel, they know to bring me home a basket.

These days I no longer heat style my hair, so it’s been all my natural waves you’ve been seeing. I stopped using a curling iron mid-summer when I chopped length off to get rid of split ends and most of my ombre. Though I still have lingering bits because I didn’t want to go too short. I’m hoping the lack of heat styling will keep my hair healthy and prevent hair breakage. While the waves help my hair look fuller, I have really thin hair. If anyone has suggestions to remedy my thin hair issue, I’d love to know!

Anyway, cheers to 35! If anyone needs me., I’ll be in bed all day reading a book.

what i’m wearing: dress, vintage. boots, rachel comey. Birkin basket, space rocket store.

Comments

20 Responses to “cheers to 35!”

1. jane says:

Happy, Happy Birthday Rubyellen! Have a wonderful, relaxing day celebrating you!! :)

2. Kelley says:

Happy birthday! I turned 37 in May and have seen so many more greys. Cheers to not pulling out our hair:) I hope you have a wonderful, beautiful day reading in bed.

• Rubyellen says:

Thank you! I debate back and forth over dyeing my hair, but I’m leaning towards not. We will see if I change my mind later.

3. bekkah says:

Happy happy birthday!!

4. Katie says:

Happy Birthday!! 35 looks fabulous on you! xx

5. Toni says:

Happy Birthday!!
    Your outfit looks perfect!! And please, add those gorgeous, dramatic earrings next time!! (As big earrings are my favorite accesory)

6. I like that you are embracing your age like this. Happy birthday to us, 35 to you, 33 to me.
    Keep smiling and enjoying those great smile lines. You are beautiful!!!

7. lin says:

I pull each grey out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m gonna be bald.

8. Charissa says:

Happy birthday, Ruby! Your blog is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing yourself and your family with us in this space. (Autocorrect suggested ‘sugaring yourself’, ha! Hope you get to sugar yourself a bit today, too!)

9. Samantha Lee says:

Happy birthday!! Your whole outfit is lovely and those natural curls?! <3

• Rubyellen says:

Thank you! I used to hate my natural waves, but I’m learning to be thankful and embrace them. Plus, I want to be good example to my girls and don’t want them to grow up wanting to change things about themselves because they are fearfully and wonderfully made just as they are.

10. Kristen says:

Happy happy birthday pretty girl!!

Is there a link or style name for those shoes? I LOVE them!