In our previous winter gardens, one of the challenges has been ease of access. On one hand, we need to seal it off tightly so that (1) the pests will stay away, and (2) the wind won’t “blow the ‘green’ house down” (it can get VERY windy here). And on the other hand, we need to be able to access it easily for obvious reasons. If the vegetable plants are on “lockdown,” there’s a process to “unlock” them. Accessing it (without breaking down a good chunk of it) and creating a door of sorts in a temporary housing structure like this has been difficult. Ben thought of adding a tee fittings along the PVC arches in hopes of creating a place to rest one of the long edges; a way to create a door for easy access. It worked.
One of the drawbacks has been that when it gets really windy, the row cover fabric rubs along the tee fittings and it eventually the constant wear creates a tear. We’ve had to do some patch sewing in response.
We had the seedlings in trays for 3 weeks, from indoor seeding to the point of outdoor transplanting. A lot of the seeds we purchased were from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds; the kalettes were only availalble through Johnny’s Selected Seeds. For some vegetables that weren’t available through Baker Creek, we found other vendors and purchased organic/non-GMO seeds. For asian vegetables that were hard to find, we went through Evergreen Seeds; the vendor told us that all of their seeds are non-GMO.