dekopon: from a seed experiment

April 23, 2015

from a seedfrom a seedfrom a seedfrom a seedfrom a seedfrom a seedsumo orange seedfrom a seedThe Dekopon (known as “Sumo” in the grocery stores) is large, easy-to-peel, and sweet mandarin. They’re also nearly seedless. And, if you find a seed, that is the only legal way to grow them in California (unless you are one of a small number of commercial growers in California) at this point in time. As a result of this exclusivity, they cost $3+ per pound here in California.

Last year we bought a few in hopes of finding a seed. No such luck. This year was a different story… we found one! So, off to learning how to germinating citrus from a seed I went, and up the seedling has now risen! The last photo was taken 15 days after initiating the process.

Can’t wait to share more about our Dekopon seed experiment with you! -Ben

13 comments on “dekopon: from a seed experiment”

• Yay how exciting it was meant to be!

• heather says:

This is so interesting! We LOVE sumos, although this year they seemed a little less amazing- maybe due to the drought, we guessed? I didn’t know the seeds were so rare and prized! Can’t wait to see what happens with yours! I’ll live vicariously through your experiment, since I don’t think we’d do too well with them in the midwest! 🙂

• linda says:

The kid in the video looks like he’s 12. Smart kid.

• Cait says:

How neat! Why is it the only legal way to grow them?

• Vanessa says:

This is really cool. My fingers are crossed for you!

• Jo says:

Oh, I’m so excited for you guys to try this! Those oranges are SO juicy and sweet! Yum!

Thank you for sharing! I super look forward to the updates. 🙂

• Thomas Moyers says:

What source dI’d you obtain your seeds from? I want to grow some for my family to eat but Ive had no luck.

• rick king says:

update?

• Steven says:

I had about 10 growing and about 4 were stronger and then 2 and then 1 they got up to about 80mm high but all died so this year I will do more research on perfect conditions to grow mandarin trees from seed, I am about to go on my buying spree tomorrow if they are in yet, I eat alot of them about 5 to 10 per day so though out the season I get a few seeds, about 20 all up last year.

• Lou Garavaglia says:

I found eight seeds in a Sumo mid January. I did as above and got 6 to germinate. Of the six two of the seeds broke apart but are valiantly try to send up leaves. 1 is a little behind the curve but sent down a tap root so I’m pretty sure it will germinate. 3 have germinated and are about 1 1/2 in tall. I expect to get 4 seedlings out of this group.

That said. they won’t exactly be true Sumo oranges. My understanding is that the only way to get seeds in a Sumo is to have a bee cross pollinate with some other mandarin. Assuming they live and given the way genetics works I will probably wind up with 4 slightly different kinds of oranges. With luck one will be a keeper.

• Patricia Nayor says:

Hi!
    I just found two seeds in a sumo! Can you give me some tips on what are the next steps? I’ve never germinated a seed before but would love to try with my sumos