November 18, 2010
Filed Under: MAKE
An easy little DIY to make something for your gift wrappings, tree hanging, or just cause you are plain craft happy! It is really super easy.
yarn, use various colors for mixing (or embroidery thread)
wire of sorts (I used what I had on hand and it is wire wrapped in raffia bought at a local craft store, thick copper jewelry wire would work too, or even embroidery hoops)
*tip: make sure you get wire that keeps it shape and doesn’t easily bend as you will wrap the yarn around tightly.
1. Using a wire cutter, cut off 6”-8” long piece of wire, depending on the size you want your circle (can even make larger if you so desire). Twist together the ends of the wire to form a circle and this is the top of your ornament.
2. Taking your yarn, tie a knot at the top part of your ornament.
3. Wrap yarn around the top a couple of times, then wrap around the circle randomly to create any type pattern you like. Can be wrapped once or twice or even up to ten times, it’s up to you how you want your ornament to look like. To end the color, just tie and double knot back up to the top where you first tied your yarn.
*tip: make sure to always go to the opposite side of the circle when wrapping your yarn because you want to make sure the yarn is wrapped around taut. if the yarn is not going from one end to the other, the space between the yarn might be too close together and will just unravel easily later.
4. Add another yarn color, and repeat steps two and three. Do this again, if you wish to add an additional color. Go color happy and add as many colors as you’d like!
5. Cut off a 6”-8” piece of yarn, fold in half and knot to the top of the ornament. This allows you to hang your ornament or to be able to tie it to your gift wrapping.
6. Hang it, adorn gifts (or trees), and enjoy your yarn ornament!
Hope you have fun making this and that it makes sense! Have any other questions or need clarification on how to make this, please tell me here. Also, if you make it and share it on your blog, leave the links here as I would love to see it!
Happy crafting everyone!!!